Saturday, April 7, 2012

Motives for a fasted lifestyle

Matthew 6:14-18

"For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly."


We have already learnt that fasting is one of the most important aspects of a Christian walk. In the scripture above, it is evident that Jesus expects us to live a fasted life. That alone tells us that there is a secrete in fasting. Jesus does not want us to waste our time and effort fasting without reaping the benefits. Our motive when fasting matter and Andrew has summarized it very well in the devotional of 4/07/12

http://www.awmi.net/devotion/jesus/mar_07

I have done a lot of fasting and I encounter many people who use fasting as a means of cleansing. Many isolate physical fasting from fasting for spiritual benefits, which neglects the soul. What I have learnt through experience is that you reap more when you combine the two because we are spirit with a soul, living in a body. A physical fast without renewing your mind with the Word of God does not produce lasting results. It is always best to feed your spirit and renew your mind as you train your flesh.

Even when cleansing, the main motive should be to honor God with my body and soul. In other words when I fast, my first and most important motive should be to humble myself before the Lord, get more sensitive to Him; sharpen my ear so that I may hear His Word and the voice of the Holy Spirit; hearken and do!!!!!! That really means let the Holy Spirit take over every area of my life. This brings my body under subjection to the Word and will of God.

As Andrew advises us, we should glorify and exalt Jesus in everything we do.

Please share your experience or concern on fasting.

No comments: